The new discoveries of mineral resources will be more and more to greater depths, difficult to access and in more complex geological environments, demanding sustainable mining projects and higher risk prevention.
The Master in Mining and Geological Engineering (MEGM) seeks, in this way, to train future professionals with the appropriate skills to be able to respond to some of the biggest challenges facing the mining industry in the short and medium term. The technology level, will imply the implementation of intelligent systems that are based on real-time monitoring and management of the main mining operations, being able to make use of AI tools and IOT technologies.
Therefore, the Master in Mining and Geological Engineering was restructured in order to meet the current turning point of the mining industry, in which digital technologies have a huge potential to generate new ways of managing uncertainty and increasing the rates of productivity, which can be summarized in 3 major groups of technologies, namely:
• Data, computational power, and connectivity, which includes real-time monitoring and management of mining operations and intelligent data management networks;
• Analytics and intelligence, which includes the integration of AI and Machine Learning techniques in mining operations, from prospecting to production and mineral processing;
• Digital-to-physical conversion that includes the entire automation and robotics component.
The curriculum of the Master in Mining and Geological Engineering aims to provide integrated training to future professionals with the skills to act in various fields, as defined and governed by Ordem dos Engenheiros - College of Mining and Geological Engineering, namely:
Experimental work plays an important role in the Master in Mining and Geological Engineering, being performed mainly at Geolab and ITlab
Within the scope of this Master's degree, IST developed partnerships with several foreign universities for student’s mobility, such as:
• Montanuniversitat Leoben, Austria
• University of Mining and Geology ´St Ivan Rilsky, Bulgaria
• University of Zagreb, Croatia
• Universidad de Oviedo, Spain
• Universidad de Vigo, Spain
• Universidad Politecnica de Madrid - Etsi Minas, Spain
• U. Politecnica de Cartagena, Spain
• Politecnico di Torino, Italy
• Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy
• Universitá degli Studi di Catania, Italy
• Universitá degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza", Italy
• Politechnika Slaska, Poland
• Technická Univerzita Ostrava, Czech Republic