The Department of Physics of Instituto Superior Técnico (IST) offers a PhD Program in Physics Engineering (PDEFT) covering some areas of expertise of its professors and researchers, in close connection with the research units associated with the Department of Physics:
• Centre for Astrophysics and Gravitation (CENTRA)
• Centre of Physics and Engineering of Advanced Materials (CeFEMA)
• Centre for Theoretical Particle Physics (CFTP)
• Centre for Nuclear Sciences and Technologies (C2TN)
• INESC Microsystems and Nanotechnologies (INESC-MN)
• Instituto de Plasmas e Fusão Nuclear (IPFN)
• Laboratory of Instrumentation and Experimental Particle Physics (LIP)
The main areas of the PDEFT are:
• Astrophysics and Gravitation
• Plasmas Physics, Nuclear Fusion, Photonics and Intense Lasers;
• Physics of Condensed Matter, Nanotechnology and Solid State Physics;
• Particle Physics and Nuclear Physics.
Other areas of research within the Department of Physics (e.g. Renewable Energies) are also covered by the PhD Program.
The PhD Program in Physics Engineering together with the PhD Program in Physics integrate the 3rd study cycle of higher education courses resulting from the Bologna Agreement. They complement the undergraduate training the 1st and 2nd cycles (Bachelor and Master) in Physics Engineering.